When ever one receives the floral arrangement as gift or if one cuts the flowers from one’s own garden whatever the source of getting the fresh cut flowers the person owning them always want to preserve their freshness and beauty for longer period of time. The flowers can stay fresh for long only if they are kept free from bacteria. Many times when you buy flowers from florists they provide you with the flower preserver and this is for what it is given by florists. It is either called flower food or flower preservative. If you haven’t bought your flowers from florist that means you do not have this commercial preservative so now if you want your flowers to stay fresh for longer try out this and have home made floral preservative.
Put the flowers in the water that is at room temperature or little warmer as cold water is not suitable for flowers because it have the tendency to shock the flowers.
Now add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice half teaspoon of bleach and one table spoon of sugar to the water and mix all well. This is going to work the same way as the florist’s food pack does normally for the cut flowers.
Now set your flowers in the prepared water and cut the stems of flowers at bottom at an angle of 45 degrees.
If you want to keep your flowers look healthy for longer period of time keep refreshing the water in the vase every two days and adding the lemon, bleach and sugar the same way. Every time when you change the water do cut the stems of the flowers the same way too.
Enjoy your fresh flowers for longer period of time and have the colors of flowers prevail all around your house to bring the freshness.
Fresh flowers are loved by all this is something commonly known but flowers are loved a lot even when they are not fresh ad preserved in form of dried flowers to form beautiful dry floral arrangements. There are numerous different ways of preserving flowers for making dried floral arrangements and one of very unique one is when flowers are dried and preserved under sand. Here is a complete guide for you as to how you can dry up your flowers using sand and than arrange them to form a very creative floral arrangement.
• You will first of all need an open bud or a bud that is just about to bloom. Cut it in a way that you remain as close as possible to the bloom like leaving around just inch or a half from the bottom of the bloom. You do not have to keep the stem with you.
• Now get the fresh, dry sand for drying up your flowers. If you feel that the sand is not dry leave it spread well under the sun so it completely dries. It can be beach sand, river sand or any other dry type of sand. But make sure that this sand have to be very fine and should not have any rocks or shells. It may be filtered one too.
• Spread the sand in a cool dry place like a garage or an attic. Place the sand over a place where it will not disturb you as it will take a long time in drying up. Now when you have spread it put the flower over it and bring sand around the flower as much as possible and than slowly cover the whole flower with the sand. Now once your flower is completely covered with sand leave it to dry for 3 to 4 weeks.
• Once the time is up, look out for the dryness of your flowers. You need to be very careful when taking out the flowers because the sand drying would have made your flowers a little more delicate. If your flower has dried and preserved well take it out or in other case you may have to leave it in for few more days.
• After your flowers are dried up you can take them out for making your flower arrangement and you may use floral wire to make stems for your flowers and here you are ready to prepare a very beautiful dry flower arrangement yourself.
Flowers are one of the best creations of God and are so beautiful and elegant yet have strength to make someone’s day. Fresh flowers definitely are a beauty in them but dried and preserved flowers are in great demand too as arrangements prepared with these looks really pretty. There are different ways to preserve dried flowers. Whenever flowers are dried once they have reached the required condition they are at stake of breaking off. It is fine if you plan to make a potpourri out of your dried flowers but if you want to keep them intact in form of flowers than you need to take some steps. This will not only make you get a beautiful dry flower arrangement that would compliment your interior’s décor but also will let you save the memories belonging to the floral arrangement for long.
Preserving With Hair Spray:
1. Spread a sheet of newspaper or plastic over a counter or a table basically on a straight surface and arrange all your dried flowers separately over it.
2. Now spray the flowers with the hairspray to form a light coating over flowers. Turn them around and be careful while doing it so you coat the flower completely from each side.
3. Let the hairspray get dried properly over the flowers to form a layer before you pick them up for arranging them the way you want.
Using Liquid Plastic:
1. For preserving your dried flowers with liquid plastic the first thing is to ensure your safety and protection so get a mask and plastic gloves for yourself first.
2. Now mix the liquid plastic with hardening agent. The complete recipe of making the mix will be given on the pack so follow all the instructions completely.
3. Get a latex rubber mould and pour 1/4th inch of liquid plastic into it. After this allow the liquid plastic to set. The time required for its proper setting will be instructed on pack too usually it is about 30 to 35 minutes time period required.
4. Now set your flower over this dried layer of liquid plastic and than pour another 1/4th inch of liquid plastic over it. Now again let it dry completely.
5. Keep pouring the liquid plastic of 1/4th inch layer each time when the previous one dries until the mould is completely filled. As soon as the last layer sets you can pop dried preserved flower out of the liquid plastic and put it over for display.