They are mostly native to the Mediterranean region, but a few species are found through central Asia to China. Formality, sweetness, self admiration, formality, and egotism, are all represented by the Narcissus flower. The Narcissus flower blooms are often grown on damp soil near to a pond. It requires well-drained planting sites with exposure to either A.M., P.M., or entire day direct sunlight and its planting depth varies according to the size of the bulbs. It is also the most popular flower in Germany. Lore connects the daffodil to not only a sign of winter’s end but a lucky emblem of future prosperity.
Narcissus is the name of a genus which includes flower bulbs which are quite easy to grow. The tale of this flower has its roots in the early Greek and roman mythologies, according to them a young lad Narcissus fell in love with his own self when he saw his reflection in a stream and he stared at it until he eventually turned into his namesake flower.
Narcissus flowers are usually white or yellow and are characterized by a stem that bends just before the blossom, so it tilts in such a way that the blossom faces out or down rather than up. According to myth, this is because Narcissus was gazing down when he was transfixed in his own reflection. The stalk is otherwise firm and upright. .
Narcissus is the first flower of spring, these species flower the last of April depending on the species. Their presence also declares that winter is leaving and that spring has returned.
It is also commonly known as daffodil or jonquil. Narcissus species are commonly called daffodils, dwarf daffodils with small cups are sometimes referred to as jonquils. These three were once separate flowers. Interbreeding and hybridizing produced more than 5,000 varieties, placed in 11 main categories. However one feature distinguishes Narcissus from nearly all others which is its crown or corona, it is a frilly topped, cup-like cylinder arising from between the base of the blossom’s stamens.
Facts about Narcissus:
● Narcissus is known as the10th wedding anniversary flower, a gift of daffodils is said to ensure happiness. But they are always presented in bunch.
● Narcissus is the flower for those born in December and its birth stone is turquoise.
● The name, Narcissus is derived from the Greek word narke, meaning to numb. Some say that the naming of the flower to its narcotic fragrance because in a closed room its scent can cause headache.
● Narcissus sap contains sharp crystals that are poisonous, and thus are left alone by the deer as well as mice and other rodents.
● It keeps you care free as it is a Disease Resistant flower.
● All the flowers of this species are suitable to ornament the garden as an addition to your spring treats.
● In Islam the Hadith of Bukhari associates the flower with the upright and righteous man. The symbol has also been likened to the transformation of pride and self-centeredness into the humility of a more individuated and spiritual self.