If you want to add some natural touch to floral arrangements, wreaths or framed art you should use dried flowers. There is great variety of flowers available that you can dry up like the ones that you pick up from your garden or those that you buy from the florist. Fresh flowers have a very short life and it can not be extended more than a limited time like your flowers may remain fresh for a week or 10 days hardly and that too if you take all steps to keep them fresh for longer time using flower food and preservative. If you want to keep dried flowers safe for longer period of time, than you would need to secure them against moisture, light and air. You need to take following steps in order to stop these factors from shortening your dry flowers’ life.
1. Always keep your dried flowers at a place where the sun light does not fall or that is not near to any air vent or drafts. Even if you have framed flowers you still need to keep them away from artificial light falling over the frame as well as sunlight. Because as the light will fall on frame the reflection will cause the flowers to fade out.
2. Before you place your dried flowers in a floral arrangement or frame treat them with preservative. Spray it with aerosol lacquer or you can get dry flowers preservative from florist. You will need to follow the directions completely that are given over label and than use the lacquer or preservative. And do not arrange the flowers until and unless the spray has dried completely.
3. Keep your arrangements out of reach of children and pets. Especially the cats love to play and chew the dry flowers.
4. Always clean your dried flowers with soft brush like soft make up brush. And clean it with light hand too; you should not apply pressure on leaves and petals.
5. If your dry flowers are not to be used right now, than store those in a plastic bag or in air tight jar. If stored than bag than keep the bag in some cool dry place until you use them.